Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Losing weight or losing my mind?


Why is taking the extra pounds off so hard? I'm running like a mad woman these days so you'd think the weight would be falling off, right? Well it's not--yes it is coming off very slowly, but I still don't think it's enough. To be honest- nothing pisses me off more than knowing I can kick the skinny girl at the gym's butt at most sports, but she'll beat me at shopping & looking good in cute clothes every time! I'll get there--yes I will. I'll get back to where I'm comfortable and confident again. I also want to get to where it doesn't hurt my joints to run longer distances. I'm not going to do any fad diet. No magic shakes, pills, etc. I'm going to do this the old fashioned way...exercise and eat right!

Open any diet book or weight loss website and it will tell you to eat a certain number of calories and a certain combination of food and viola--you're skinny! Not so much. First off, with my history of eating disorders (everything from Anorexia in high school to binge overeating in my late 20's) has left my body and brain totally confused. I try to eat when my body tells me to and stop when I'm no longer hungry--not full, but not hungry anymore. Great in theory-but hard when you're running 20+ miles a week and could eat a horse after a workout or are distracted by other factors during a meal (TV, friends, etc). My biggest challenge not letting outside factors influence my choices/behavior.

Now what to do about the suggested food? I may honestly be the only overweight vegetarian in the world so there aren't many diet plans out there for people who don't eat meat and dairy. I don't like substituting faux meat products for their animal counter parts as they tend to be over processed. I eat them anyway because they are so convenient and easy. Why does convenient beat out healthy so often? Am I really that lazy that I can't take 30 minutes out of my day to prepare a healthy flavorful meal. Tonight I will remind myself how great a real home cooked from scratch meal beats out convenience any day!

Okay now for the workouts. Yes I am training for a marathon. Guess what I need to be doing the most of? Running! But that shouldn't be the only thing I'm doing, but it is. Cross training is not only key to prevent overuse injuries, it also helps strengthen other muscle groups in the body which in turn support the ones used in running. So I need to commit to adding one yoga session, one bike/spinning or one swim session, and 2 weight training sessions a week! It's already in the recommended training schedule, so I just need to do it!!! Today I will add weight training to my normal running routine!

Off to a good start--I have a plan and just need to prove I can do it. One day at a time. Every good day is a chance to become more comfortable and confident in my own skin again. And if I fall off course? Remember every challenge is an opportunity to prove to myself that I can overcome any obstacle to achieve my goals!

2 comments:

Lincoln said...

I've had super metabolism since as long as I can remember. Now...as I approach 30, I'm finally starting to notice the creeping weight gain. It's got me freaked out. So on some level, in some way...I can sympathize.

Kim said...

Kimberly, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you sharing such a personal part of your life here. Personally, I think you're absolutely beautiful, but I understand your feelings and frustrations as well.

I admire so much the way you're taking CARE of your body... your BEAUTIFUL body!

You know, the first time I met you, I thought "Wow! She is gorgeous!" and you so very truly are. Not only outside, but inside as well. I am so honored to know you.