
I am tired, I am sore, I am so proud of myself for finishing the Rock N Roll 1/2 marathon in Phoenix, Arizona- well Phoenix, Scottsdale & Tempe to be exact. 13.1 miles through town listening to some great bands, getting supported by local cheerleaders, and 20,000+ other runners made for a great race.
Okay this race is so much fun. Put aside the running part and you have one amazing party! The buzz at the start line was incredible. I was surrounded by everything from first-time runners, to people running in memory/honor or their loved ones who were either no longer with them or could no longer walk/run on their own. There was even a blind runner and runners with amputations ready for their first strides! Some were hoping to set a personal record and others (like me) were just hoping to finish. You could feel the excitement in the air! And then the clock struck 8:30am and we're off! One by one, each pace group/corral left the start line to depart on their way, each person embarking on their individual journey!
If you've never done a half marathon, I highly recommend you train for one. There's no greater sense of accomplishment than crossing that finish line even when your body has told you to stop miles earlier. Mind over matter...and a road race is no better test of how much stronger your body is than you ever thought it was! "No games. Just sports."-?
I have to admit that I have never been this under prepared for a race of this length before, but being the stubborn mule that I am, I decided it was worth the effort and post race pains to finish! It was a healthy reminder of how much more training I need to do before the next big race in July. Ah, but I feel I've earned a couple days off before training starts again.
Anyone care to join me in San Francisco July 26, 2009 (runsfm.com) or back at the rnr in Phoenix in 2010?
Stay tuned for updated race pictures....

1 comment:
I am so proud of you!!
Post a Comment