Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Golden handcuffs


There comes a point in most people's careers where you wonder if this is really what you were meant to do. I've been wondering this a lot lately. What are my passions, what should I be doing to be fully enriched.

Do I enjoy the work I'm doing, yes. Am I learning a great deal, yes. Would I be perfectly content to keep doing what I'm doing, yes. Is it my passion, no. My passion lies within the scope of Kinesiology, or better known as exercise and sport science. So here I am, about to turn 30 and contemplating going back to school to earn my masters degree so I can pursue a new career in something I love. Here's the catch...the golden handcuffs.

What are golden handcuffs you ask? Well they are similar to traditional handcuffs in that they keep you bound, but you're bound to your current position/salary because you can't make the same living by switching careers. Ay there's the rub. So do I switch careers and do what I love and hope Scott can pick up the extra, or do I stay with my current position and remain unfulfilled professionally while still maintaining the quality of life I so enjoy?

Oh there's another catch--I work for a family business, my family's business. What happens to that dynamic if I up and leave. Would they be supportive of my decision to pursue my passion? Of course! But I know times are tight right now and my family is counting on me to help pull through these tough times.

Oh and yet another catch--we may start a family here in the near future. Can I physically take the strain of starting a new family, going back to school, and starting a new career all at the same time? Can we afford to start a new family if I switch careers?

So there it is...Do I remove the golden handcuffs? Or maybe keep hoping for a powerball win! ;-)

1 comment:

Lincoln said...

A question? Since it's a family business...would it be easy to go back?