Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not your grandmothers yoga...

If anyone would have told me 10 years ago that I'd love yoga, I would have laughed right out the door on my way to a 'real' sport practice or workout. Boy do those who think all yoga is just a bunch of breathing and meditating wrong....

Yes there are some forms of yoga that are very gentle and focus on breath and gentle stretching. The two types of yoga I enjoy are not your grandmothers yoga!

First there's Ashtanga.
Ashtanga yoga is extremely popular. It is a vigorous, athletic style of practice. It appeals to those who like a sense of order and who like to do things independently. I leave this class feeling invigorated, but not wiped out. The pace, the breathing, the control, the physicality, it all resonates very highly with me. Please come and check out a class! www.ashtangaboise.com

Then there's Bikram.
Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class is a twenty-six asana series designed to scientifically warm and stretch muscles, ligaments and tendons, in the order in which they should be stretched. Don't let the general description fool you...this class is conducted in a 100+ degree room. Unlike Ashtanga where I leave class feeling refreshed, Bikram's workout is so intense I often feel exhausted afterward. I still recommend it! www.bikramboise.com

No comments: