Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Is it time for a new car?


How do you decide when it's time for a new car.  My current one isn't that old at all, but it's having its share of problems currently.  It's a 2002 Saturn SC2 and it has just over 60,000 miles on it.  Why so many problems you ask?  I don't know!  They are all recent.  This car has been good to me these past 7, almost 8 years but it seems to be falling apart!  Small screws are coming loose and these a lovely rattle in the dashboard that won't seem to stop.  But the car gets incredible gas mileage (29 mpg in the city!) and it's 100% paid off.

According to kelly blue book, my car has an approximate value of $3375 for trade in and $5100 for private sale.  That's a decent chunk for a down payment on a good quality used car, and maybe even one that has more than 2 seats!  Oh and here's another down side of owning a Saturn...GM closed its Saturn division which means its value will continue to decline rapidly.

So much to think about.  Is it worth adding another car payment to our monthly bills?  I guess we have some thinking to do.

2 comments:

Lincoln said...

Here's my advice...for what it's worth. If the problems are only an inconvenience, run that sucker into the ground. If they need to be fixed and it's costing money...go for a new one. I was forced to get a new car when my old Camry wouldn't pass inspection.

Kimberly said...

I appreciate the advice Lincoln! They do tend to be smaller things but they keep adding up. $100 here, $400 there. The car has been good to me so I think unless I find one of those incredible too good to pass up deals, I'm sticking with my Saturn!